Brief description of The Action Foundation
The Action Foundation (TAF) is a youth led, volunteer based, grassroots NGO in Kenya established in 2010 that aims to improve the lives of children with disabilities and their families. TAF works in low income areas with children with physical and intellectual disabilities such as Autism, Down’s syndrome, Spina Bifida, Hydrocephalus and Cerebral Palsy.
A fully inclusive society where children with special needs can realize their maximum potential.
To transform the lives of children living with disabilities in low income areas
This program involves improving the physical, social and mental health of children with disabilities. The Action Foundation enables them to access a range of therapy (physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, and art therapy), recreational activities and medical care at our rehabilitation center in Mashimoni Village at the heart of Kibera slums.
Breaking Barriers program involves creating awareness about disability to enhance acceptance and foster respect for the rights and dignity of persons with disabilities by the Kenyan society.
This project involves empowering families of children with disabilities by training their caregivers in income generating activities; helping to grow their existing businesses and giving them skills that are helpful in meeting the special needs of their children.
I Can Learn Too
Through I Can Learn Too, TAF advocates for caregivers and the community at large to invest in the education of children with disabilities. TAF also fundraises to provide partial and full scholarships for children with physical and intellectual disabilities to attend special and mainstream schools.
|Founder, The Action Foundation|
· 13 children have gained mobility after undergoing successful corrective surgeries with the help of partners and through our fundraising efforts.
· Through the “Mwangaza” program children have been integrated in special and mainstream schools.
· Mothers of children with disabilities trained to make hand crafts and are earning a living out of it.
· Over 2000 people have been reached in community disability awareness events in Kibera and on our social platforms.
· In 2014. We were 2nd Place National Disability Inclusion Awards, Health category.
The Action Foundation would like to scale up and reach other parts of Kenya and the larger Africa.We are looking at strengthening our income generating activities to promote sustainability.
Facebook : The Action Foundation (Kenya)